30 Reasons WHY You Should Write a Book
Before you commit to something, you must have a WHY. I'm sure you've heard this many times. The same thing applies when writing a book. If you have contemplated sharing your story, I wanted to give you 30 Reasons WHY You Should Write a Book! It is a MUST — especially if you are a business owner or desire to become an entrepreneur.
If you are already an author, no worries, this will give you some potential ideas on how you can leverage your book.
1. Stream of Income. A book can easily become an additional stream of income. The book should be only a portion of what you have to offer and share with others.
Money can be a key motivator for many authors, but it certainly isn't and shouldn't be the only reason why you should write a book.
2. Change lives. Books can enlighten, educate, inspire, inform, and entertain. They can and do change lives. Everyone has at least one story of a book that changed their lives. What book changed your life? Now, write one to change other people's lives.
3. Sell a product. Use your book to help promote another product, whether a real-world product or an online information product. Books can help you sell all your other products and services. Seed your book with the stories of your other products and services. Include case studies, success stories, examples of failure, and success.
Books can sell your products and services faster and easier than anything else. Books allow you to showcase what you do, how well you do it, and how your customers benefit from what you offer.
4. Build a career. There's no better way t
o build a career than to start by writing a book. Books open doors. Books get respect. Books get you promotions. And books get you job offers, again and again.
5. Boost your credibility. Nothing establishes your authority better than a book. Your book instantly boosts your credibility as a doer, as an expert, as a celebrity, as an authority. Of course, it has to be a good book, a great book, an extraordinary book. The more extraordinary, the more your credibility will grow!
6. Share a message you've got to get out. We all have magic inside us that wants to get out. Writing a book is one of the best ways to get your magic message out into the world.
7. Build a tribe. If you want to create a fan club, a following, or a community, write a book! They'll find you! They'll find you not only on the social networks, but also in reading groups, meetups, conferences, and more.
8. Use it as a business card. Books are the best business card you can carry. Create a very big business card that will get the attention of
your customers (and potential customers) and get you more business and sales.
9. Become a speaker. Speakers with a book get more visibility, more bookings, more recognition, and more response. Not only can you speak to outside groups but you can also present and market your own seminars, conferences, webinars, teleconferences, and more.
In addition to your speaking fees (up to $50,000 per speech, but typically between $2,000 and $10,000 per speech), you can build your prospect list super fast. Speakers get contact information from 20 to 50% of their audiences. One speaker reports getting contact information from 97% of his audience, time and time again.
10. Become an expert. There's no easier way to become an expert in a subject than to write a book about the subject – of THE book on the subject (like 1001 Ways to Market Your Books). You become an instant expert, a recognizable expert, the minute your book is published.
11. Create new products. Your book can become the basis for a podcast, audio mp3, Internet radio show, video series, magazine column, syndicated column, webinar series, multimedia course, membership website, etc. Understand that many of your readers actually prefer to absorb information or entertainment in other ways: via audio, via video, via live seminars, via online webinars, via a membership site, via phone calls.
That's why you should always work to take your book and format it for other mediums. It's the quickest and simplest way to create new products. Just take your book, and turn it into an audio. Just take your book, and parcel it out via a membership website. Just take your book, and speak it out loud.
12. Be a consultant, coach, or mentor. Book authors are the experts' people come to when they need answers to their questions. Who would you rather do business with? Someone with a little business card or someone with a bestselling book?
13. Create and build a business. As Mike Koenigs says, you can wrap a business around your book, or you can wrap a book around your business. Your book is your million dollar seed to building a business that will last longer than you do.
14. Create wealth. Books can be the foundation for building a great business, a lasting career, or steady income via royalties and rights sales. Many authors report increasing their annual income by $100,000 or more after publishing a book and becoming a bestselling author.
But a note of caution: Many book authors sell fewer than 100 copies of their books. That doesn't create wealth. That's why it's crucial that you learn how to market your books. If you don't take the time to market your books hard, your books won't sell. You won't earn what you are worth. And you won't help people like you want to.
15. Attract better customers. The best way to develop great customers is to give your book to prospective customers. Those prospects who read your book and like it will become your best customers.
Note: Write a book that answers the top 20 questions that prospects ask you again and again. Prospects always ask better questions after reading a book. If they ask the right questions, they will hire you and keep hiring you. That's the best kind of customer.
16. Express your views. While everyone may not agree with your views, a book is a great opportunity to share your perspective. There is nothing like being able to openly discuss topics that interest you.
17. Get maximum publicity. Books are some of the best tools you can use to get publicity, whether local PR or national media attention. Books open doors. Books get attention. Books stand out. Media are hungry for authors who know what they are talking about and can present their ideas effectively.
Media hosts can use your book to select the topics and questions they want to ask you during an interview. They can also use the search engines (and Amazon) to discover the real experts on any topic. Who are those real experts? Book authors, plain and simple.
18. Credibility. Book authors get more followers on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and LinkedIn than people without a book.
Note, also, that your social media posts can become the basis for your next book. It's easy to create new books as you continue to post, pin, tweet, and share.
19. Build a local business. If you don't think a book would help build your local business, ask yourself these four questions:
Do you ever have to fight for business with competitors?
Do you have trouble standing out in a crowd?
Do you ever get asked the same questions over and over?
Do you get price resistance for your services?
If you answer yes to any of the above questions, then writing a book could be the answer to building your local business to a whole new level. A book would help you stand out tall among your competitors.
A book would help to answer all the questions prospects ask over and over again. A book would set you apart as the person to work with, even at a premium price!
20. Educate others. As a book author, you will be offered opportunities to educate others/speak in schools and universities, even without a teaching degree, a Ph.D., or other credentials. Your books are your credentials.
21. Serve others. Your books are one of the key ways to serve others by sharing the best of your talent and the best of your ideas.
22. Reveal your importance. Not only does writing a book make you an expert, but it also guarantees your status as someone important, someone who is deserving of respect, someone who people want to be around, someone who draws a crowd wherever you go.
23. Build your list. Books are one of the best ways to build a customer list, whether offline or online. By building calls to action within your book, you can send people to a page on your website where you can capture their names and emails.
Every chapter in your book should answer key questions your potential customers have. Each chapter should showcase examples, success stories, and social proof.
If you create great calls to action within your book, you'll generate the same kind of success as other Amazon bestselling authors: For every 10 books they sell on Amazon, they get 2 to 4 leads.
24. Promote events. You can use your book to promote your on-going events: speeches, meetings, seminars, webinars, podcasts, teleseminars, and more.
25. Partner with top companies to sell more books. Work with Apple, Google, YouTube, Amazon, and other high-traffic websites to promote you, your books, your business, your services, and your other products. With a book, you can easily partner with the top websites because they love books and they love book authors.
26. Launch a product. Use your book to anchor a high-ticket product launch. Use your book to create even more streams of income.
27. Develop as a writer. Someone who c
an write a book can write almost anything: blog posts, articles, columns, etc. As a book author, you immediately qualify to write for websites that pay money for blog posts and articles.
As a book author, you could be invited to write a column for a related magazine. As a book author, you can also ghostwrite for other authors.
28. Help more people. You can help a ton more people by writing a book that changes their lives than you can by donating your time at a food bank or by creating a new foundation.
29. Control your message. If you don't write your ideas down into a book, someone else might try to do it for you. You should be the one delivering your message in the form of a book. Don't wait for someone else to craft your message to be their own.
30. Leave a legacy. Books give people the opportunity to hold you in their hands. Just imagine a time when you are gone, and all that's left is the book you wrote. Every experience that made you who you are, is worth sharing and remembering.
These are just a few reasons WHY you need to write a book! When you have a strong enough WHY you can and will make it happen! If you feel the tug and constant nudge to share your story, you need to do it as soon as possible! Do not continue to let time pass you by when you have the desire to share your story.